In early 2013 we started TakomaDogs to bring a dog park to Takoma Park. Over two years later, we're still waiting. Why is this taking so long?
Each City Council member expressed support for the dog park. The prior City Manager, Brian Kenner, committed to "have the dog park operational in fiscal year 15." Yet here we are at the end of fiscal year 2015, which ends on June 30, and no contracts have been let, no shovel turned, and there's nothing on the horizon.
The new City Manager, Suzie Ludlow, noted a month ago that "We are working on getting agreements with [the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission] and [Montgomery County Public Schools]." While TakomaDogs has tremendous respect for the overall efforts of City staff, the fact that the agreements are taking so long implies a lack of commitment or effort to opening the dog park.
If contracts are not let soon, we will miss the summer construction season, resulting in yet another year of delay, with another year of excuses, and Takoma Park's over 4000 dogs and family having no place to go.
So now's the time to contact the local politicians. Takoma Park politicians can be contacted using our Take Action page. Montgomery County and school board politicians can be reached at the links, below:
- Montgomery County Planning Board Chair Casey Anderson: 301-495-4605
- Montgomery County Parks Director Michael F. Riley: 301-495-2500
- Montgomery County Council Member for District 5 Tom Hucker: 240-777-7960
- Montgomery County Council Member at Large Marc Elrich: 240-777-7966
- Montgomery County Council Member at Large Nancy Florin: 240-777-7959
- Montgomery County Council Member at Large George Leventhal: 240-777-7811
- Montgomery County Council Member at Large Hans Riemer: 240-777-7964
- Montgomery County School Superintendent Larry Bowers: 301-279-3383
- Takoma Park City Manager Suzie Ludlow: 301-891-7229
- Takoma Park Works Director Daryl Braithwaite: 301-891-7615